Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Loki, Hadley Zenobia, and I


Curly fake-furred wriggly bag of bones,
Puppy skin so thin his vital ticking outclicks my own.
Fearfully four times I palm that fragile chest,
Wobble downstairs in the dark
Attach a lifeline, send him out
To steam an urgent thimbleful in snow.

In my arm’s crook I cradle my pink-swathed
First grandchild as I did her father years ago.
Named for England’s green and rolling hills
And an ancient Syrian warrior-queen.
Her frame too soft to swing a sword,
Last night her voice could rouse an army.

Despite a forehead daubed with Wednesday’s grit,
“Remember, man, that thou art dust,” somberly intoned,
In this night of earnest closed-eye prayer
I cannot draw a humbled breath.  This life instilled
Warmed guarded so exceeds the dry cold stone
Instead I sense the hand that holds me.
c 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment