Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On Poetry


As long as I this pleasant voice enjoy
What beauty I perceive I will relate
Though diction out-of-date I may employ
To probe the range this wretched tongue can state.
Modern writers may castigate my rhyme
And flay my lines’ familiar metered pace.
Their subtler ears reject all listening time.
Their meager journals grant no welcome space
Where to record my songs so clear and plain
Which full disclose their contents patently,
Grasped both by learned and by humble brain,
From symbols, cant, and obscure reference free.
This prayer, half chant, my apologia light,
I wrote to put the path of poems right.
c 1986



This wretched age that mocks all metered rhyme
Prefers to heave a half of brick than speak
Its love and can’t commit beyond the night
Deserves its reams of railing, fearful rant
I’ll favor then eternity for time
And build with words rejected as too weak
This monument to lasting love despite
The work of making music’s balanced chant.
Not every conscious moment counts the same
But judgment gleans the stream for order’s form
And in the good perceived the will delights.
Except your love’s first easy blush full fade
And be revived throughout life’s changing storm,
Call it not love, nor ever claim love’s heights.
c. 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment