Sunday, May 31, 2015

20150531 (awakenings)













In childhood’s days I wondered

When looking into the mirrored

Parlor closet door and seeing

That special room reversed 

Of sofa, table. lamps and radio

Where did it all go when the door opened

To reveal a plain wooden back

On a storehouse of cold coats

It was on two outside walls 

My mother’s and father’s hats

A sturdy vacuum cleaner standing

At attention beside two bowling ball satchels

Each containing a forbidden ponderance

Of smooth swirling plastic scuffed 

From sliding many times along 

Those beautiful polished runways I found

Superb for dancing in my socks

While teams toted their final scores

Though now I know 

Where that mirrored room went

And how it would have been

An excellent time to learn of Narnia

And Middle Earth so perfect like 

Places I imagined behind the tall

Radio’s glowing dial. Yet then

I did not stop to wonder once

How those rolling plains described

And stormy seas I conjured up

Could fit inside our modest parlor

Much less within my head


c. J.S.Manista, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment