Tuesday, July 26, 2016

20160726 (sparkle)

A face only a pincushion could love . . . am I too harsh? This is a child of God like me.




















Anyone who really knows me

Knows I am not a paragon of 

Tolerance. For all the far-out

Concepts in which I dabble

From politics to religion (the

Verboten topics) to weird 

Science and basic math (which

I have yet fully to grasp) when

It comes to personal decor

I’m right in there with the 

Snobbiest of Republicans

Insisting on khaki Dockers,

Pinstripe shirts with old 

School ties, and navy blue

Blazers for men, and thin

Wisps of nothing much for 

Women (actually creamy

Linen summer dresses cut 

Above the knee and a colorful

Silk scarf pulled through

Epaulets (?), blond tresses

And blue eyes). On an 

Adventurous day, green eyes,

Red hair, with a bit of a

Brogue brings out the lap 

Dog in me. But regrettably

There are new fashions about

Putting a heinous dent i

What passes for beauty

Nowadays. I have already

Addressed one issue: any,

Positively any, tattooing,

For either women or men

Though I must confess,

Since I spend the far greater

Part of my visual life scanning

Women’s flesh (I can’t help it

I was born that way), I once 

Wrote, “Ladies, please don’t

Get tattooses. You know they

Only look like bruises.” In the

Spirit of non-discrimination, 

I’ll let you retell that as, “People,

Please . . . .” The other egregious

Practice is facial jewelry in which

I include scarifications, artificial

Aperture stretchings, and the whole

Vile rest, which I categorize as 

Defacings of the Image of God

Which can only reduce, not enhance,

Human beauty. (See my What a 

Bargain from Bijan's* for an

Extended treatise on the nature of

Human beauty.)  When I see one of

These unfortunates I am moved to

Tell them, “My son is a surgeon.

He could remove those in ten 

Minutes without Novocaine

Or cutting you in any way.” If

I’m feeling a little jocular, I’ll 

Ask, “Are you the one who stood

Too close to the jewelry shop when

It exploded?” The afflicted rarely

See either comment as helpful or

Even positive. Maybe it's because

I was born that way—without a ring,

Or watch, or stud.






No comments:

Post a Comment