Friday, February 7, 2014

More Whining about Winter

Dear Gangaroonies,


It's -2 outside and 56 inside. It's quite clear that when there's a lot of wind or very low temps the boiler--working full time--just can't keep up. Which is fine for the usual winters we've been having--some of them record high temperatures. But this winter has the witches wearing extra sweaters and flannel bras.


When it gets to the minuses even walking the dog can be difficult until the city scrapes the secondary streets which currently are rutted high piles of stiff slush that threaten walking. Fortunately I have a balaclava (one of the last gifts Dinah gave me) which helps me keep my face from freezing off. I used to refer to it in error as a baklava but then was told that no amount of Greek pastry would keep my head warm. 


To indicate just how bad things are the Plain Dealer (Cleveland.com) is running a front-pager about how unshoveled sidewalks ". . . lead to injuries, missed school, angry residents." I may break out an old piece I wrote about The Suspicious Specificity of Certain Shovels which  probed the problem of how driveways get shoveled but sidewalks didn't. Ohio City is a pedestrian neighborhood (in that way like Manhattan). But there are still a lot of cars driven by people who resent sharing the road with children, bopchi (old ladies carrying grocery bags), and dogwalkers. Hell, we're scared enough just being in the street. We don't need to fear being run over too. Give us a wide berth, please. 


Considering getting a haircut as I am lay reader at church this Sunday. But before I walk to the barbers' I think I'll let it warm up a bit (blessed sunlight!). We're in for five days of this or more--damned groundhog. (Actually groundhogs are as lovable as any of God's creatures--including us, just don't try to kiss one.)


No cold cereal for breffies today. Cheesy eggs with hot decaf instead. Stay warm. 


Bundle up with your honeys and your babies. I'm thinking of sticking the kitty inside my sweatshirt. Yeah, for her sake.

Love, Peace, and Hope,

James Manista

No comments:

Post a Comment