Friday, July 10, 2015

20150710 (self-centered)

Manifest Destiny
Can anyone blame you for thinking

You are the center of the universe 

When no matter to which sense you turn

The proof is abundant overwhelming

Like when you’re an infant

Close your eyes the world goes away

It takes a while to conclude

The world is still there

Mommy’s face behind the blanket

Toes are funny fingers feel them

And they feel felt how amazing

Some people seem not to have 

Graduated from peek-a-boo school

They can pick up their cell phones

While waiting in line at the bank

Tell their girl friends just what they’d

Like to try tonight as if the lady ahead of them

With the toddler in tow couldn’t hear

Then complain to the manager

Who confronts them why are you

Listening to my conversation

Have you no manners they scold

Offender offended is what I call it

Like people who talk at the movies

Maybe they’re convinced they’re at home

Slumped on their couches before their TVs

When people beside them 

Turn and say Please they answer

How dare you tell me what to do

I’ve paid for my seat I’ve every right

To talk if I want just shush yourself

Who are you to tell me how to behave

In my own living room who let you in

They can’t seem to get it

It’s always their world over yours

Like when we told the Indians Filipinos 

Vietnamese Afghans Iraqis

And others move over

I need more room more oil 

More of whatever you’ve got

We take precedence God told us so

We’re better everyone knows

So just mind your own business

While we bomb your neighbors

Decide which of your brothers

Fathers sons we’ll haul off to 

Torture maim kill or 

Just jail forever on a mistake

Why can’t you be grateful

We’ve spent enough over here

To turn this friggin desert into a

Sears Roebuck twice over

They paid no attention

At Peek-A-Boo School



c. J.S.Manista, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment