Saturday, October 17, 2015

20151019 (hiding grief)


























It’s best to be alone when you think on 

Your dead you can’t foresee when the moment

Will or will not push tears to the surface

At church I hide in the left transept where

Jocularly if I fall asleep my

Head will come to rest on one wall or the

Other of the corner the pulpit sees

So far they haven’t the temerity

To call my name since none but my pew pals

Would know my offense hymns will do me in

If I’ve missed a med or the weather’s such

To spur a memory of warmth or hurt

Like wind’s breath in the trees rain on the path 

Dust dry leaves rustling in the forest where 

We in silence walked hand in hand bound so

Comfortably together sniffling dopes

Too happy just to smile had to kiss

Wet cheeks hungry lips leaning against the

Trees each clearing as the dark brought stars out

Raising ephemeral to eternal

Linking all such moments an unbroken

Sacred past that can be recalled to life

If you can stand the strain lose touch

With the present to see how far memory

Proceeds to see in a way to hear in a way

Better than any dream to realize her walk

Her scent her voice by now the waterworks

Has given you away brings you back to

Church to the movie to the highway who

Knows how loudly you sobbed how far

From the center you strayed can’t have 

Been too bad no horns sirens no rasp

Of tommy bumps they’re not looking

In your direction they may not have 

Noticed anything you hope but at the

Intersection the woman in the car

On your left has seen something she

Talks to the driver looks at you furtively

To see if there’s anyone else in the car

Out of the corner of your watered eye

You sense some concern oh God lady

Don’t roll the window down and ask

If you could be any help I couldn’t

Take that light changes they turn left

Suck it up go on it’s a lonely rural

Road to my sister’s I’ll be fine in a

Few minutes I might be dry with red

Eyes and a wet nose blame allergies

The all purpose dodge just don’t 

Keep playing there’ll be laughter even

After you’re gone* by Iris Dement the

Song that always rips your heart out

Then gives it back again like a round

Trip to griefland I tried to avoid 

Such moments during my second 

Marriage kept bottled up lest

Any loyalty of tears be seen as a

Disloyalty of love but the day she

Told a friend so contemptuously

Sonnets those are his dead wife poems 

I felt freed to grieve again






c. J.S.Manista, 2015

*https://youtu.be/wnO8zLGobyY

No comments:

Post a Comment