Saturday, October 24, 2015

20151025 (advertising)

Half the fun of having feet

Is wearing red goose shoes

Garfield 1 2-3 2-3 calling for

Philip philip mor-ris how 

Many vital cells in my brain

Are still tied to these ditties

My first phone number drilled

Into me from early childhood

Was part of the memory package

Name address phone number

Mommy’s name daddy’s name

Just in case we ever got lost

And were found by the police

Those I don’t mind so much 

They may be some comfort in

My eventual dementia help me

To visualize the child I once was

Or perhaps still am Bill Hicks

Famous and tragic American comedy 

Prodigy asked his audience anybody

Out there in marketing would you

Kill yourself please right now

We’ll wait for all the trash

The hucksters have drummed

Into our common consciousness

What a waste of learning those

Might have been the neurons 

Enabling us to unite relativity 

And quantum mechanics our 

Understanding of the world

Forestalled because of a jingle 

About flooring or toothpaste

Great poems rendered impossible

To minds jammed with Sunday at

Beautiful thompson drag raceway

Drag racing capitol of mid-America

What great music was not written

Because plop plop fizz fizz oh

What a relief it is impedes the 

Imagination like molasses in a

Watch something like a national

Lead poisoning in every house

On every child’s lips dumbing us

Down to moronic consumership

Repeated more often than hail

Marys on a rosary just so that

When we think of shoes we’ll 

Think of guy’s at least the Goodyear

Blimp floats majestically in the 

Sky during the day inspiring

Youngsters to wonder what holds

It up at night over football games

You can’t see it but it’ll tell you

You could save three-hundred and

Fifty dollars by switching to geico

The messages hover overhead as if

From angels damn I missed the 

Kickoff then when I’m standing at

The urinal there’s an ad staring 

Straight at me I can’t look away

At the guy on either side what’ll

They think so I close my eyes and

Enjoy the go hey that’s what those

Bears in the woods want me to do

I would if I bought their extra soft

Toilet paper that’s how deep it is

We can’t get away from it if I

Had a great service or product

Could I move enough of it by

Word of mouth or would I eventually

Push and shove for a piece of 

Everybody’s brains and buy

Advertising




c J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment