Friday, February 12, 2016

20160214 (hello?)















You, Dear Reader, are only one

Of the 7.4 billion people now

Occupying space on the face 

Of the earth. I am one of the 

Others. I have no idea who 

You are. The Blogger map 

Shows activation in countries

As close as Canada and Mexico

And as far away as Kazakhstan,

But I cannot tell if any of those

“Hits” indicate reading or merely

Surfing from one site to another.

I’ve asked among friends and 

Relatives in vain to locate regular

Readers. I pass out my card to

Passengers if I fly on planes or

People I meet on the street. I

Think dog-walkers move to the

Other side more to avoid me

Than my dog. I haven’t quite

Taken to slipping them under

Windshield wipers yet, but 

It’s a lively consideration. Is

It really vital to me that we talk?

After all I’m not reading your 

Blog even just to see what’s 

Out there. Not that I wouldn’t

If you only made a comment.

You see, as any writer, as all

Writers, even those who scribble

My telephone number on

Men’s room walls with the 

Admonition, “For a good time

Call . . . ,” I am screaming into

The cave opening not just to 

Hear an echo. Years ago in

A college writing course I was

Taught, to be a successful writer

You gotta have chutzpah. At least

Enough to push yourself up to

The front where others can hear

You. And it’s good to have 

Something worth saying—or

From your aspect something

Worth hearing. That’s the 

Crucial test—do you believe

Enough in your own perception

And judgment to say with 

Any confidence: Listen up,

Jack. I’ve got something you

Gotta know. Maybe you’ve
 
Heard it before but not so well.

Might make you laugh, maybe

Cry. Maybe want to tell it to

Your friends and family. Go 

Ahead, tell it to your girl

Friend and you don’t have to

Tell her you read it here. Say

It came from your heart because

That might be what the words 

Touched. All I’m trying to do

Is write a few good words to

You, for your mind, for your

Wisdom, enjoyment, whatever.

Even if all you’re doing is 

Learning how to read English.

Glory and good wishes to

You, mighty Kazakh.







c J.S.Manista, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment