Thursday, February 11, 2016

20160213 (Valentine's day)



Whom did I love when my love

Went awry? Was it forever lost

Like a flashlight’s beam errantly

Pointed heavenward as I ambled

On a lonely beach in the dark? What

Of all the kindnesses I thought 

I was extending? Did they, like

Misaddressed gifts, end up in

Anyone’s hands? I didn’t get

Them back. The flush of romance,

The waves of infatuation swelled

So reliably, who could see clearly 

In those eager days? What slip of 

Manner, misremark was not then

Quickly forgiven, if not forgotten,

Lest the glittering chrystal shell 

About us burst, glassy shards 

Bury themselves like shrapnel

In our faces, hands. We can 

Neither scream nor move.

Embracing too painful to imagine,

Disfiguring even more if not fatal.

Yet that day arrives. There are

No touches to be suspected cold.

There are no touches. There are no

Greetings mumbled grudgingly.

There are no greetings. Shunning

Would be warmer than this. In

Shunning the other avoids eyes 

As if to acknowledge silently

I am still here—as if looking

At me might affect her heart. No,

In this your eyes see beyond me.

I am no longer a physical

Presence to be avoided like a car 

In the oncoming lane, or a bear

About to leap. Now it’s only 

Business: court dates, summaries 

Of goods to be divided. There 

Will be no talk of misspent devotion

Or of how things got off track. No,

That would be a sign at least

One of us cared. Now 

Though we can have coffee

While waiting for the magistrate

Or our lawyers to arrive, we 

Chat of friends, politics, even 

The weather, but I not dare

Ask you, while waiting in

Civil demeanor, to extract a shard

Not quite skinned over from my

Cheek. No, the body lay between

Us not breathing, cold to the 

Touch if either dare touch it.

We are certain it’s dead. We’re 

About to sign its certificate.

Who should recognize ghostly

Pallor if not we who knew it well?

So with thirteen pages and 

Solemnly swearing the truth

Of this death, that perhaps had

Never lived, we embrace in 

clumsy ritual “divorce hug,” 

Wish each other well (we think for

The last time) and let them turn

The stage lights dark on this

Once affecting but now

Unfathomable drama.









c. J.S.Manista, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment