Saturday, June 11, 2016

20160610 (list)

Ignore a timer going off at your own peril

























When a recipe says 20 minutes

Prep, shouldn’t three times that 

Recipe be only 1 hour instead of

Six? I get other things done 

When I’m between stages and

Manage to fit in some YouTubing

While chopping up the veggies.

Still it takes so much more

Time. I obviously gained little

From exposure to the time-study

Methods ubiquitous in postal 

Work, my accidental profession—

By abstention from seeking 

More suitable, fulfilling work.

Every other job paid so much 

Less and I couldn’t make the 

Sacrifices necessary to get by

On what corporations X’s were 

Willing to pay. Plus I’ve

Always been easily distracted,

Now more so. Like a lot of

Elderly I will find myself in

One room of the house doing

One thing when I came into

The room for a totally other 

Purpose. Rather than call it

“Forgetfulness” I title it 

“Efficiency in situ” (doing

What’s called for in the 

Immediate vicinity).  No sense

In wondering what it was you

Came for, that would have 

You back in another room

Trying to remember something

Else and feeling guilty about a

Task you just forsook. It’s 

Not always that bad if you make

Notes, and better, if you take 

Them with you. Right now 

I’m listing things for sale on

Craigslist: taking a picture,

Transferring it to the computer,

Write up the ad, and only then

Recall they want the measurements.

So where’s the tape measure? I 

Had it here for the last item. Did

I leave it upstairs? No problem

I’ll find it on my way to the 

Bathroom, which takes me 

Passed the dishes that need

Washing but I can’t stop for

That now. What’s that burning

Odor? The casserole in the 

Stove for which I had set a 

Timer but when it went off

I decided, since I was on a roll,

I’d take it out a couple of 

Minutes later, but I didn’t.

Too much on my mind or not

Enough? I’m not a multi-tasker.

Never was, never will be. Glad 

I don’t chew gum. Walking down

The street is hard enough. Oh,

Yes, the casserole!






c. J.S.Manista, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment