Saturday, June 11, 2016

20160611 (shattered)

One of life's early lessons - Not everything works out.


























Some adventures end without

Glory, like this one of giving

Up the house to another to

Restore. I remember all the 

Chiding I got when I first

Acquired it, the remonstrating

Glances, “You idiot, what have 

You gotten yourself into now?”

I knew of another whose family

Did not support her efforts 

Whether they were sound or 

Capricious, her announcements

Met universally with disapproval.

Her mother, a kook by any 

Meaning of the word, disfavored

Her birth and told her so in so

Many ways. She preferred her 

Second child, a boy, whose actions 

Were always praised before

Visiting relatives in the same 

Breath that berated her failures.

To what extent her mother made

Such choices intentionally will 

Have to wait on eternal judgment.

She was committed twice, I think.

I found it so hard to believe these

Incidents occurred while the mom

Had her two in tow. When I was

With them no one ever raised the

Question about how they came to 

Maturity in any capacity at all. It

Was as if one stayed off such topics

For the sake of not toppling a house

Of cards. I sincerely came to 

Wonder if I had been manipulated

By all her tales of woe, so many

Around her allied against her to

Disrupt the stability of her life. 

What had her brother meant when

He told me, “The family is so 

Happy you’re in her life now”?

I should have asked then. I’ll

Not get another chance. When our

House of cards toppled without 

Glory, there were so many

Questions that would never be

Answered. With a house one 

Can grow older and be too weak

To see it through, or realize that

Short of winning the lottery 

You’d never have enough to pay

For everything that needed to

Be done. But with a marriage

The exhaustion isn’t measured 

In sore muscles. It’s like a

Humpty-Dumpty, once broken,

Can’t be put together again.









c. J.S.Manista, 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment