Tuesday, August 4, 2015

20150805 (veganism)

Farm Sanctuary, Watkins Glen,  New York--farm animal rescue





















Let’s get serious about farts*

It takes a thousand gallons of

Fresh water for every gallon of milk

So many others have spelled

Out the ratios let’s say I’m coming 

Away convinced that the first way

To be kinder to the earth is to change 

Our way of eating rather than our 

Light bulbs change your light bulbs

Yes but eating less animal products 

Helps tremendously

I’m not ready to stop it all since

I just boiled two eggs to put in my

Tuna fish salad with mayo and relish

I’m in a quandary if I had to slaughter

Bessie for my next ground meat special

She’d be certain of a natural death

I wouldn't starve there are nuts grains

Rice I even sympathize with a 

Fish on a hook wriggling

Like the proverbial chicken in the

Shadow of the Colonel OK I know

I’m projecting my pain on this 

Gasping critter maybe I’m too sensitive

Could be I’m sensitive just right

Finally part of the great 

Awakening about animals’ feelings

This started today with an FB friend’s post

On the death of their dog having trucked

Several of my animal companions to the 

Death house known as the vet to plead

For their release from suffering or from

My inconvenience I experienced similar

Emotions I called them my kids they were

Better family members than 

Some two-legged types

Then I read Hedges’s column this week

In Truthdig about Farm Sanctuary

An animal haven from slaughter

In Watkins Glen in beautiful rolling hills

New York farmland run by vegans**

I said I was in a quandary

I have friends who tell me when

Animals stop eating other animals

They’ll consider altering their lifestyle

But not until then for people who argue

There are too many of us I feel like asking

What do you mean US Kimo-sabe***

Who’s ready to take the first leap

Saving the rest killing all the high-living

High-consuming Americans would be

The most efficient choice seeing as we

Ruin more of the resources than tribefuls

In loincloths why do we assume when

Humankind stops at ten billion

If it ever does or reduces its numbers

We’ll be among the counted




c. J.S.Manista, 2015

*Can vegetarianism Save the World https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article

**Chris Hedges, A Haven from the Animal Holocaust, Truthdig, Monday, August   3, 2015

***Lone Ranger, seeing thousands of Native Americans all dressed in war gear on horse surrounding him and his colleague: “Well, Tonto, this looks like the end for us.” To which Tonto replies, “What do you mean US, Kimo-Sabe?” 





No comments:

Post a Comment