Sunday, August 23, 2015

20150823 (global warming)


















I drive my car I fly to visit

My daughter in New York or 

My sons on the west coast

Natural gas to heat my house 

From late fall to early spring

When the chill winds blow my 

Boiler runs almost continuously

The electricity I’m using to write

This note probably comes from

Burning coal all the while I

Oppose the use of fossil fuels 

What else can I do doesn’t cut it anymore

No wind-up computers no good on a bike

No solar panels on my roof or in my yard 

No wind turbines anywhere 

I gotta do better just for credibility

Can I righteously rail against 

Those who think burning

A little gas a little coal diesel fuel

Ain’t all that bad in fact it might 

Be nice to have things warmer

Save on heating fuel at least

Look up sillies it’s an endless sky

Still gets blue sometimes clear

Didn’t you study chemistry

Biology in high school did you never

Catch a Nova or see An Inconvenient Truth

I tell ya time time again they’re

Not lying about this remember 

What happened in New York

The ocean flowed into the subway

They turned off power to the lowest 

Third of the island was nobody laughing 

Then not when they had to walk 

Seven blocks north to buy warm food

I knew about carbon dioxide long ago

They’ve known about it forever

Jimmy Carter tried 

To turn the country around

They laughed in his face

Reagan took the panels 

Off the White House roof

Oil started flowing again 

Long lines disappeared 

Exxon Mobil racked up profits

Paid experts to tell us it was all a hoax

They’ve known about it forever 

Could've started making electric cars 

Cheaper better panels turbines

All so nice but so too late

Too many politicos dithered too long

None of it’s going to work now

Too many forces already unleashed 

There’s a bad moon arising with

Nobody big enough to stop it your

Complaining will not undo the future 

Besides nobody’s listening to you




c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment