Wednesday, September 2, 2015

20150904 (collegiate separation)















Like so many other things in my life

Of socially delayed development the 

Parental quagmire of dropping me off

To college was really dropping me off

I was a townie at Carroll to graduate 

School in my parents’ driveway

As I loaded my stuff into a fellow

Student’s car who would drive us both

To Bloomington Indiana now that I’ve 

Seen the process from both 

Ends of the bridge I can state 

Reliably the feeling parents get of

The child finally breaking away 

A complete delusion you really lost

Them during the application process

Or before when they first told you they 

Were really looking forward to their

Eighteenth birthday when society itself

Took a position against you on their

Independence the tearful hug is a ritual

For your benefit not theirs they may 

Walk with you back to the car

To see if they emptied everything out

Typically they have this is ritual remember

Another last hug receive your urging 

To call or write in my time I’m 

Not sure what kids do today

I would hope hourly texts taper off

As they bury themselves in procedures

Books booze boys girls and sin

The cord which supposedly was cut

In the delivery room should not have

Reattached if it has you were doing

Something wrong hobbling their step

If you were doing it right your kid’s

Had numerous chances to fly on his or 

Her own music camp in Michigan

Boy Scouts in New Mexico our first

Two were borrowed by friends in

New Rochelle who flew them 

At age eight and nine to New York

To see if they our friends had 

Parental moxie before unleashing 

Really dangerous sperm to 

Make one of their own suffice to say

They had a daughter in the year following

Perhaps our two pushed their envelope

By all reports they performed

Superbly which if true was not a 

Realistic test of parental stresses

Whether you make them the old way

Or adopt children should come with

Papers that spell out carefully you 

Get to hold them for only a few years

If you’re good and they’re lucky

Then you must let them go even if

You think you’ve still got years

Because they let go long before

They’ll be with their friends and

Their life before your car 

Leaves the parking lot




c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment