Tuesday, September 8, 2015

20150910 (family photos)






































We’d love memories if they were all good

Never want them to fade like Kodakchrome

Slides sickeningly pink and beige after so 

Many years in a box in the attic

Black and white would have proven

Superior though even they yellow on 

Their own my sister inherited the family

Album cache if my kids ever want to

Watch me grow up cradle my dog on

The old porch steps they’ll have to 

Move quickly grab her some afternoon

While she’s still kicking duplicate those

Images from which I learned of my

Grandparents uncles aunts what they

Wore when they were young the 

Paradox being we have pictures of

Them as youngsters young marrieds

Following that the photographs of

Their aging ended up in their family

Albums no one thank God took pix

Of them in their caskets just before

The lid was screwed down excuse me

Except one of a cousin dead early

I remember the flash never saw

The result who’d want a picture

Of cousin Gracie laid out in her 

Communion outfit white rosary draped

Through her fingers as if she dropped

Off while praying instead of leukemia 

Mourners in typical Polish Catholic 

Fashion finished their words

At her kneeler rose turned bent to her mom

Whispered she looks good I never could

Figure what kind of comfort this was

Hearing your beloved child was appealing

In death more than in life I thought 

She looked ok for a dead girl who 

Wasn’t all that pretty alive 

Perhaps I was callow couldn’t see why

They wanted the coffin open

Her looking like she was praying with

Her eyes closed they didn’t apply

The right lipstick it was worse than

Wax at Madame Toussauds young

As I was it seemed more important

That she died than that

Some mortician duded her up

For her last photo a lot of my 

Relatives already knew I was 

Outside the culture but they 

Never let on to my dad or to my mom

Who was there at my birth and knew

I wasn’t adopted



c. J.S.Manista, 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment