Tuesday, November 10, 2015

20151111 (hubris)

Lawrence M. Krauss Physics of Star Trek 

























In February of 2003 I heard 

Lawrence Krause participate

In a lecture series on Science

Vs Religion at John Carroll 

University where I had been

Applying my alumni privilege

In their gymnasium and saw

The poster he gave a Powerpoint 

Presentation on how every scientific

Advance erodes the claim of

Religion in every field of 

Human knowing one need only

Follow the graph to see that

Science will triumph religion

Fail entirely studied only as 

An historical artifact of very

Properly diminishing interest

Ultimately disappearing as one

Step in the evolution of thought

A period followed of Q and A

I was astonished the Jebbies*

Did not leap to the floor to 

Defend Christian faith perhaps

They lay low to allow others

To engage Dr. Krause hugely

Popular figure who had written

Among his professional tracts

The New York Times best seller

The Physics of Star Trek most

Know better than let a silence

Continue lest I throw myself in

The fray like the fool who rushes

In where angels fear to tread I

Rose was recognized by the 

Lecturer and asked rather bluntly

If there might not very well be

A whole range of knowing science

Cannot address by which I meant

Values like honesty kindness

The like while testable discovery

Allows us to know the nature of

Things it cannot explain why we 

Think some situations 

Better than others in science  

Nothing asserts order is better

Than chaos steam better than ice

Its claim to be the only knowledge

Struck me as ambitious at best

Spurious at worst I’ll give him

This much he didn’t stumble 

His reply dealt with honesty 

Science could not progress 

Were proponents defrauding 

Each other regularly presenting 

False results the goodness of

Honesty was grounded in its

Necessity for shared knowing

Was I satisfied with that as an

Answer for ethics no I wasn’t

But I thought it better to yield

To other questioners who I hoped

Would follow my lead sadly none

Did shortly thereafter I wrote a

Piece that begins Tell me which

Doctor Krause Are the Atoms of

Evil and appears in my blog of

March 26 2013** 




c. J.S.Manista, 2015

* Jesuits as known to Carroll Students

**http://filosuferz.blogspot.com/2013/03/i-beg-to-differ.html

No comments:

Post a Comment