Tuesday, December 1, 2015

20151202 (empathy)




She was leaving we were coming in

I told Peggy I would speak to an

Old friend quickly as we passed in

The aisle you know Tommy’s on 

Sunday afternoon kind of like

Blood cells in an artery everybody

Going one way or another how

You been she looked at me as if

Do I know you I showed her my

Church badge still on gave her

A card Jim you don’t look at all

Like I remember I explained 

About not having to wear glasses

Anymore no it’s the beard when

Did you start to grow it she had

A cheerful face it looked like we 

Had some time as waiters exiters

Wadded up toward the booths

How’s your old man I asked

The initial sparkle went out

Of her face he’s tried to kill

Himself several times it’s hard

Right now after that you can’t 

Just walk away and say have a 

Good one you’ve got to take

Some time to commiserate

Very sorry to hear but there’s

A lot of sadness in families

I sense perhaps you don’t

Know my son Peter took his

Life a couple of years ago

Kept trying till he got good at it

Dumb thing to say I tried to 

Wish her better times and a

Good outcome we had to part

She was in a hurry for another

Appointment and I wasn’t offering

The crucial help she was needing

When I got back to the table

Peggy had been given menus

Water told the waitress to come

Back in a minute thanks I said

Buried my nose in the menu

Old friend more Jean’s than mine

Our kids grew up together I

Didn’t mention the tough events

Of her recent days what could 

I say I knew no motive health

Work that’s for another time

And place where one can speak

In nuances as they say now I

Know how hard it is lots of 

People don’t want to talk about

Such things they’ll nod and let

You go on express their regrets

Hoping they have communicated

Enough and that you will not

Break down right there giving 

Them more than they would could

Handle that’s the risk because you

Don’t even know that yourself

Whether this will be the one

Time the scabs peel off and you

Bleed all over again







c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment