Saturday, December 12, 2015

20151215 (holiday hassle)



I can’t buy gifts it’s not that

I’m cheap which I am it’s that

I crazy fear buying the wrong

Thing which I often or always

Do it’s way too competitive

Women at least if I may part

From feminist PC cant seem

To know people better whether

They intuit better or are given

To caring more enough to be

Perceptive to who others are

Therefore they better understand

What they want what they like

And they buy all year long

Saying in February this would 

Be perfect for Grace you know

How she likes miniature horses

Huh I didn’t know that well you

Never looked around her place

She’s got them all over I was 

Never at her place or in April

While we’re at Home Depot I’m

Looking for replacement drill 

Bits I notice she’s carrying

An HD bag the contents of 

Which I’ll find in my stocking

At Christmas since they’re 

Constantly shopping they

End up with everyone’s gift

Purchased before the first of

December no wonder they

Have all their gifts wrapped

Before anyone else namely me

That’s another thing that 

Scares me wrapping them

Tying bows I’ve given up

Fumblefingers I am I confess

I can get the paper on but the

Scotch tape is hard to hide

Even my simple ribbons tear

The wrapping it looks worse

Than if I'd attacked it with 

Scissors which I did no 

Wonder decorative gift bags

Have blossomed so I’m not

The only one who can’t wrap

I’d tell my shrink this all goes

Back to my kindly but neurotic

Mama who was hard to buy

For a matter of harried approach

Avoidance as days before 

The holiday dwindled away 

I’d feel increasingly pressed 

To get the right thing but 

Can’t buy another robe 

Three years in a row is

Enough so I ended up getting

An electric skillet to ease

Her burden in the kitchen

She thought it was lovely

Never used it after she died

We found it in the attic replaced

Perfectly in the original box

If the gift cost too much she’d

Oh you shouldn’t have or if it

Wasn’t good enough it would 

End up unused in her closet or

Attic there was no middle 

Ground the too nice overlapped

The not nice enough damned

If you do damned if you don’t

I can sympathize with people

Who simply give gift cards

Just go buy whatever you

Want there’s not time enough

In my life to figure you out

I so fear rejection I get apoplectic

Sorry mom merry christmas









c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment