Tuesday, December 22, 2015

20151226 (fear of flying?)




Don’t show me a plane ticket

Without first saying, “Now, Jim,

I’m going to show you a plane 

Ticket. Sit down if you have


To.” I’m not sure how I’ve gotten

Spooked about flying. I’ve not

Been in a near miss, not even 

Near a near miss. And it’s not

The flight itself nor missing

Connections which happened

Only once. I think it’s just a

Fear of the unknown—leaving

My base of operations, the pets

Who provide me so much

Stability. Usually I’m good

Among strangers—the other

Passengers on the flight. I 

Imagine walking up and down

The aisle saying hello and

Reducing the strangeness.

In my dreams they cheer and

Plead, “Read us your work.”

Like that’s going to happen 

Anytime soon. Or, “Write

Us a poem, baby,” or, be still

My heart, “Young man, I’m 

a publisher. Here’s my card.

We’ll have to talk after the 

Holidays.” That would just

Blow me outta the plane,

A career cut short in its prime,

Be careful with your expressions.

So I get to my seat between

Amy Adams and Nicole Kidman

Lookalikes who beg for more

And right in front of me expunge

iPhone pix of their very handsome

Beaus, texting, “So long, Terry/Brad,

I’ve finally found the one I’ve

Been looking for. It was really 

Very nice. But if he has a heart attack

When we get naked, I’ll call.”

Of course that kind of thing is

Not going to happen. I’ll take

A seat between a lady with a

Very sick or irritated child and

An NFL player who just got

Dumped and is going to try

To stay rabid drunk until he

Gets home. I won’t mind the

Vulgarities except for the 

Madonna and child so I remark

“Could you please mind your

Tongue,” and lo, she replies,

“Keep your business the fuck

To yourself. This ain’t even my

Baby. His mom’s in the slammer,

And I’m taking poopie-diapers 

Here to the grannies.” Mr ex-NFL

Calms down, starts to cry that

Drunks cry, wipes his face on 

My shoulder, “Hold me, please.

I’m so alone--such a failure.”

Are you getting the picture? Not

That it happens that way all

The time but it could.






c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment