Monday, December 14, 2015

20151218 (events)

Coming back from the scrap yard

I saw Amy Schumer riding shotgun

In the rusted out white Explorer

Next to my car as we stopped at

West 65th and Clark. I doubt very

Much it was the “real” Amy 

Schumer who lately has made

Overt raunchiness a profitable

Gig. But she certainly resembled

The star. Could with a little

Makeup, some dental care, a bath,

And getting rid of that Dollar

Store baby blue clip holding her

Hair away from her face easily

Work some “look alike” circuit,

Make plenty more to afford

Better wheels. Her driver, a paunchy

Bearded dude, didn’t quite nail 

The Harley man, looking too

Much disheveled, more hobo

Than cyclist, he should stay

with the Explorer. This is a 

Diverse neighborhood where

People plowing their red Mercedes 

SLs are worth several millions

And others who are worth what 

They pick from somebody’s 

Garbage. Some don’t own

Just their buildings but blocks 

All around their buildings whose 

Faces have appeared in Vanity Fair.

The couple who gave the Cleveland

Art Museum its branch at W29 

And Church are buying a warehouse 

Overlooking the lake. They’ll have

More than five thousand square feet 

On the third floor to make into 

Their humble home and the building

Will flourish with chi-chi shoppes

And avant grade startups, you

Betcher boots. I’m not thinking

Of any of that. My cat Sophia 

Did not come home last night

And has not shown up yet today.

I can’t hear her mewing behind

The thick front doors of this old

Paint-peeling treasure so  I’ve

Been checking, hoping each time

She’ll trundle in as if nothing’s

Happened in her usual way. So far

I must have opened the door

Fifty times since seven last night.

Barely slept but each time I went

To the can I went down the front

Staircase, popped the door, and 

Looked out, stupidly whispering

So as not to wake the neighbors,

“Sophia, Sophia, get your silly 

Ass back in here before I go nuts.”

I once thought I loved a woman

Whose cat ran away about the same

Time she was breaking it off with

Me. He was gone for weeks but

Finally turned up locked in her 

Neighbor’s garage. I wrote a 

“Closure poem”* for the cat and

The relationship, sent it along

With a couple cans of cat food. 

So I know they can come back.

Besides the weather’s mild right

Now. Dear Ms. Schumer, dear

Zillionaires, should you see my

Cat, please tell her to get her 

Furry butt and short tail the 

Hell on home.









c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment