Friday, January 1, 2016

20160105 (airportica-4)

    Denver International Airport, often referred to as DIA, is an airport in Denver, Colorado, United States. At 34,000 acres, it is the largest airport in the United States by total land area. Wikipedia



The planes were so backed up

Because of bad weather in Chicago, 

My second link, was no

Longer available from SFO.

Again I trekked to the customer

Service center, again formed a

Line of over a hundred to see if

I would get lodging or a flight.

Another center opened at the 

Other end of the terminal and an

Agent summoned half of us to 

Follow him like kindergarteners  

Staying in order in line. It moved

Quickly and I was given passes

For Denver and Cleveland but 

I would have to wait until boarding

Resumed at 3:55 AM Pacific Time

Zone. By flying to San Francisco

I had actually gotten farther from

My destination but I would make it

Home by Wednesday afternoon.

I’d already notified Tony, my 

Pet sitter, I’d be home later and

Now I’d have to call him again.

Fortunately a comrade-in-waiting

Had a matching charger and she

Leant it to me for my dead phone.

There are few places quieter than 

An airport after closing. Cleaning

Crews make little noise. They played

Announcements about not leaving

Your luggage in a stranger’s care

And about a diner outside

The security zone for food is 

Open for your tummy but you’ll

Have to wait until TSA

Returns to let you in. In the 

Extraordinary silence they sound

Like warnings from turrets overhead

In a Nazi warcamp. You see bodies

Lying about furniture that yields

No comfort, everyone stirring at

The soundblasted announcements.

I walked around, talked to people

With dogs about their circumstances,

And unbowed, risked telling more

Women how much I admired their

Patience with children when flying.

Several, first startled at my approach,

Said they were genuinely touched

Since so many often bristled at the sight

Of them. My window seat did not

Reveal as much snow in the Rockies

As I’d seen before. We were soon

In Denver. I used the seven dollar

Vouchers United gave me for my

Flight inconvenience on a corned

Beef on rye that just did not stop

Raising my spirits. The flight home

Was on time. Everybody looked

Fresh and eager. I “seriously”

Considered burning the clothes I

Had worn. Took the Rapid back 

To Ohio City and chatted with

A black man I met on the West 25th

Station elevator about how the

Tamir Rice decision was another

Black eye for the police. We wished

Each other, “Happy New Year,”

And parted. I’d failed to take 

Extra meds and could sense

My emotions returning through

The fog of exhaustion. I’d take

Them soon. I was home back 

Where I knew mine and they

Knew me. It was good to slog

Slowly down Franklin with

My luggage in tow to my house

To my pets, to my bed.








c. J.S.Manista, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment