Friday, January 8, 2016

20160112 (frustration)





















You’d rather I write something

Profound like, “We all know 

What it takes to end wars,” or 

“This will cure all cancers at

Any stage,” or “End addictions?

Right here in this little pill

You take only once.” Sorry

To disappoint you so early in

The essay. As of this very 

Moment I’m struggling with

Where are these large, slow-

Moving black flies coming

From and why will they not

Buzz by my bright display

When I have the swatter 

In my right hand. That, or

Other minuscule torments

Might be at the heart of our

Limits in solving huge

Difficulties. It might be our

Finest composers could have

Birthed some great symphony

Were it not for their tidy-whites

Chaffing an impertinent pinch

Recurrent to the point of their

Stripping bare and leaving

Disgusting sweat patterns 

On polished piano benches.

Or painters who develop a

Charlie-horse of their right

Arm, who cannot flick gobs

Of paint at their floor-bound

Canvases a la Pollock and

Are forever deprived fame

Of study and gallery. They

Starve and agree to paint

Warm window Christmas

Card schlock for the only

Chiropractor who can

Relieve the pain in their

Twisted arms. Then there’s

The theoretical physicists

Who come at their chalkboards

With an Einsteinian fury,

Convinced they will resolve

The gap between relativity

And quantum mechanics

Only to find each time they

Try to equate the chalk breaks

In their grasp, their nails

Screech across the board like

A witch riding a rasp or hacksaw

Instead of a wellworn rounded

Broom handle. That’s the kind

Of thing that can ruin your

Whole day. What guidance then

Can I grant you today, who 

Am unable to balance my 

Checkbook, clear my desk, whose 

Underwear, socks pile in

A basket crying, “Launder

Me! Launder me”? I know I

Am humbled by the masses

Shouting, “These are first

World, white people’s problems.

Get over it,” their banners read 

As they march up and down

My sidewalk every morning.







c. J.S.Manista, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment