Tuesday, June 2, 2015

20150602 (philosophy)




Descartes
Berkeley
Aristotle

 Aquinas

























I guess it’s time to tell the truth

Dear Reader, of what’s happening here 

With titles like 20150602 and rambling

Rants pushed on my blog. A friend of mine

A Reinhold, took to posting her thoughts 

Religiously pardon the pun through 

Every day of the last Lent which challenged

Me to resume the blog instead of blowing chaff

On FaceBook where my friends could lay reply

Now after the dog walk and breffies and pills

I’ll watch what flows from my mind

Before I fill it up with others’ texts, imperatives

Or whimsies. This is so self-centered but 

What the hell that’s where we all start out

Feeling our toes and genitals and playing our 

Fingers against the ceiling while we ever so 

Gradually learn what’s me and what’s not.

The old guy hobbling across the street

His garments borrowed from the charity

On 32nd up the way, has pretty much made

The same trip as I unless he’s Bishop Berkeley

Or Descartes and isn’t quite sure there’s

Anything out there but him and his dreams

Aristotle I’m told advised against philosophy

Until one was forty-seven

Great way to cut the competition, Ari

In your day few lived that long 

Except the wealthy and yourself 

Aquinas is rumored to have said if you

Couldn’t tell reality from dreams

It was time to forsake philosophy 

For a few years of bricklaying probably 

Apocryphal but sound. So this old man

Hobbling like me is carrying his world 

And life inside his head roughly the size

Of my mother’s bowling ball 

Forgive me it came to mind from yesterday

His universe must be at least as big as mine

Where will it go when his refrigerator door is shut?

Things that big can’t just disappear


c. J.S.Manista, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment