Wednesday, June 3, 2015

20150603 (exegesis)


















Early each Wednesday I meet 

With believers.  Together we shake

Holy texts for their insights today

Here’s my translation of Psalm 138: 


Take me seriously now, Lord of all

For I worship you, come to your holy place 

To thank you, Mightiest of the mighty

For sticking with me. When I needed you

You blessed me, O powerful One


If earthly powers had any sense 

They would praise your truth

And learn from your ways

However high You might be

You hear the groundlings

And send celebrities packing


When life calls me to complain

To the wrong-headed churlish

Who’d throw me under the bus

Your right hand lifts me from their snatching

So your will is done for the world

And your creature. I beg you not forget me



And Mark 3, 20-35:


When Jesus was being mobbed

Maybe endangered, by the eager crowd

His relatives, astonished and fearful

Not knowing what was really at hand

Said: “His enthusiasm is out of control

We know better. Let’s shut him down.”

The jealous establishment who came to belittle him 

So they might remain revered said

“If he’s got power it’s from the devil.”

Jesus replied, “Why ever would any one

Unwork the works of his fellows?

You know it’s God who does all good.

To charge God with being the evil one

Is nasty. Even thinking that

Crosses the line, you know?”

Now his family was still concerned

For his safety and sent to call him away

But Jesus, seeing a teaching opportunity

Said before them and the crowd 

“What’s more important is you all learn

Doing the will of God makes you and them

My brothers, sisters, and mother.”



c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment