Monday, June 29, 2015

20150629 (phony horror)






































The horror previews did me in

After five minutes of the movie itself 

I hit eject walked it back to the return slot

A B-list product with a B-list cast

Except for an A-lister And Featuring 

To give it some hope at the box office

Predictable music helped if you were slow 

There’s Something in the attic 

The husband will die such a dunce 

The young boy on whose eyes

The camera dwelled too long said

Get ready to see these suckers glow red

With glee when I go bad

Maybe the A-lister had hopes of a comeback

She wouldn’t have been

The first older woman star

To break back in with horror flicks

We never found out why really didn’t care

The sheet music the wife couldn’t find 

She saw boxed in the attic 

When she ran up to check on

Her son’s desperate screams

That’s when my preview reactions

Told me I’m not doing this

Who needs the sudden appearance of

Jellied-face Blob man to scare him out of his wits 

When reading headlines can do it for cheap

Seems there are people who love a good scare 

Can watch endless gore without losing their lunch 

It’s a fix they crave and filmers will cater

Previews promise they’ll torture the lead

You’ll get to watch every rip of the pliers

When the monster-rapist-killer works his worst 

On the chained whore 

Just for you bloodied faces stretch scream 

In terror for no one to hear

Who really needs this 

One of my neighbors years ago 

Told me he loved watching heads fly  

Guts fall out blood splattering 

Eagerly watched every second

He was a Vietnam veteran

A radioman forward who called in coordinates

To rain mortar death on his enemy nearby

Surely he must have seen the results 

Of his accuracy hurled overhead 

Mowing the lawn a car backfired

He dropped flat to the grass 

The mower went on without him

A kind father loving husband

Coming home from Pittsburgh

Late one night sleepy at the wheel

He impaled a lamppost at an exit

And was crushed in the wreckage

We never let our kids watch slashers

But my one guy who lived on the edge

Got his fill of gore with another

When the parents were working

I’ll jump with horror when the girl

Alone in the woods feels a hand on her arm

And fullscreen shows it’s only her boyfriend

With the zombie just a few steps back

She can’t scream or even point to the danger

Her friend wonders why then he gets it

Well I don’t get it and I don’t need it

I’ll save all my paralyzed screaming

For the real thing like when 

I was mugged on the street



c. J.S.Manista, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment