Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review of Old Movie--The Big Chill, 500 Days of Summer, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?



Been a long time since I saw The Big Chill

but watching 500 Days of Summer and 

now Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? I had 

the feeling "I've seen this movie before"

and with 500 I very well may have such

are the blessings of creeping age.

For me what makes them so similar is their dependence on

relatively famous music as the background of some insubstantial

(in the case of Days) and some unbelievable (in the case of 

Brother) plot events. Perhaps it's because I don't know much about

more recent music that I didn't want to conclude anything but Chill

as generational props. Brother depends a lot on the post-production

digital manipulation of color to give it a dry, dusty atmosphere as if 

it were shot through a sepia filter. Much more complicated than that

states the extra feature.




Quick and Dirty: Each is interesting and enjoyable in its own right.

None will do permanent damage and the music in Chill and Brother

is outstanding. I had hoped for more from Deschanel in Summer

but she played the deadpan disaffected ingenue again. How can a 

woman look so good and not have any emotions?



c. J.S.Manista, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment